Arulmigu Patteeswarar Swamy Temple, Coimbatore:
- Perur Pateeswarar Temple is one of the oldest Hindu temples, it is located in Perur, western side of Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Perur temple is dedicated to lord Shiva, it has a great architecture and history. Here Lord Shiva is known and called Pateeswarar.
- And another significant thing about this temple is its located on the bank of the famous Noyyal River.
- Perur temple is constructed by the great Karikaala Chozhan in the second century.
Who built the Perur Pateeswarar Temple?
Karikaala Chozhan he is a famous Chola king in the second century. This is one of the oldest temples in Tamilnadu, in India also. It has a history of 1500 years old temple.
Perur Patteeswarar Swamy Temple History:
- Perur Patteeswarar Swamy Temple has a great history, it was built by Chola kind Karikaala Chola with the help of poets such as Arunagiri Nathar and Kachiappa Munivar in the 2nd century. It is the oldest temple in India. It is a 1500-year-old temple.
- This grand temple has immense religious, traditional, historical, and cultural devotees for lord Shiva.
- This temple is also dedicated to Natarajar, who is the cosmic form of Lord Shiva.
- Perur has the name of, one of the biggest temples in Coimbatore.
The architecture of Perur Temple:
- Perur Patsswarar temple has a famous and attractive architecture of “Dravidian Architecture“.
- The special and important thing about Dravidian architecture is The front wall has an entrance gateway in its center, which is known as a Gopuram. And the is enclosed with compound walls.
- And this temple has several gopurams and halls, they carved and decorated all pillars with Lord Shiva and his different forms.
- Perur Patteeswarar Swamy Temple has statues of Gajasamhara, Virabhadra, Bikshadana, Oordhva Thandava, and Saraswati with Veena.
Various names of Perur Temple:
The famous Shivan temple of Perur in Coimbatore called by various names over the years, those are
- Daksha Kailasham,
- Pirava Neri Thalam,
- Melai Chidambaram.
Perur Car Festival (or) Perur Ther Thiruvizha:
- Perur temple grandly celebrates the festival Paguni Uthiram in the name of the Car Festival.
- Every year this religious festival celebrate in Perur Patteeswarar Swamy Temple in the month of March or April, the Tamil month of Panguni.
Significance of Perur Pateeswarar Temple:
Special Thing about Perur Temple:
- This temple has several gopurams and halls, famous of which is, “Kanaka Shaba”, it has golden statue of Nataraja.
- This temple has a golden statue of Natarajar, according to believe this is the only place lord Shiva performed “Ananda Tandava”.
- Perur temple is an ancient temple in Tamil Nadu.
- In Perur temple, there is a palm tree that is known as Irava Panai, which means it wouldn’t fall down in any situation.
Facts about Perur Temple:
- Perur Patteeswarar Swamy Temple is called by lots of names like Kamdenupuri, patti puri, Adipuri, Daksha kailasam, thavasiddhapuram, gyanpuram, kalyanpuram, pirva neri thalam, west Chidambaram.
- It’s believed that this is the only temple lord Shiva performed his “Ananda Thandavam”.
- Here you can find other god and goddess shrines.
- This Shiva temple celebrates classical week dance every year, this is usually called Bharata Natyam.
Who Build The Perur Temple:
- The Chola King the great Karikaala Chozhan build this famous temple Perur Pateeswara on the west side of Coimbatore, In the 2nd century the temple was built, and it is 1500 years old temple.
- It is located on the bank of the Noyyal River.
Best Tourist Places Near Perur:
- Aliyar Dam
- Isha Yoga Center
- Vellingiri hill temple
- Echanara Vinayagar temple
- Ukkadam Lake
- Karaimadai Ranganathar temple
Perur Shivan Temple Timings:
Entry Fee & Timings
6:30 am to 09:00 pm,
- Thursday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
- Friday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
- Saturday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
- Sunday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
- Monday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
- (Labor Day) Hours might differ
- Tuesday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
- Wednesday 6:15 am–1 pm, 4–9 pm
Siruvani Main Rd,
Tamil Nadu 641010