HISTORY OF CHRISTMAS:
The origin of Christmas starts from Roman culture. They actually celebrate two occasions in December month.
The first one is Saturnalia, which is celebrated for two weeks to honor their god of agriculture Saturn. On the date of December 25th, they celebrate the birth of their sun god Mitra.
And also it is considered an annual festival which is the birth of Jesus Christ, the spiritual leader and founder of Christianity.
Christmas is celebrated by billions of people around the world. Christmas is also a public holiday in many countries, it is celebrated religiously by Christians and as well as non-Christians.
CELEBRATIONS OF CHRISTMAS:
- The Word “Christmas” is a short form of “Christ`s Mass”. Today Christmas is both a religious and cultural holiday. As Christianity spread across the world, it is celebrated in various countries in different cultures.
- Many families have their own personal and unique Christmas celebration, which adds another layer of happiness and Joy.
- There are still some religious components, some of the people attend the night service at church or either day. But still today Christmas is celebrated in America for religious reasons.
- We celebrate Christmas by decorating our home, putting up a Christmas tree, baking plum cakes, and desserts, cooking delicious nonveg food for lunch, and attending the Night service at church.
ANOTHER NAME FOR CHRISTMAS:
The other name for Christmas is
- Christmas Day.
- Christmas Eve.
- Christmas night.
And also the greek name for Christmas is Christougena which literally means Christ`s birth.
DEFINITION OF CHRISTMAS :
The word Christmas comes from the Middle English Cristemasse, which after comes from the old English Cristes-messe, which means christ`s Mass.
WHY IS CHRISTMAS CELEBRATED ON DECEMBER 25TH?
The history of Roman Christian Sextus Julius Africanus dated Jesus’ birth on march 25th(the same date on which he held the world was created)after nine months in his mother`s womb, it would result in December 25 birth.
The Roman Empire at the time of the 3rd century had not adopted Christianity and celebrated the rebirth of the unconquered sun (Sol Invictus) on December 25th.
A church in Rome began formally celebrating Christmas on December 25 in 336, at the time of emperor Constantine. Constantine made Christianity the most effective religion of the empire. Christmas did not become an important festival for Christians until the 9th century.
FACTS ABOUT CHRISTMAS:
- Jingle Bells’ was the first song played in space.
- An estimated 85 percent of American kids believe in Santa Claus.
- Santa has his own postal code in Canada.
- The world’s tallest cut Christmas tree was 221 feet tall.
- The Friday and Saturday before Christmas are the busiest shopping days of the year.
- You can thank Prince Albert for your Christmas tree
- The Dutch of Germany gave the idea to leave cookies and milk for Santa Claus
- Christmas wreaths are religious symbols
- “Jingle Bells” was originally a Thanksgiving song
- This Christmas gift held a lifesaving secret.
- Candy canes originated in Germany.
- Santa Claus was known as Sinterklaas in Dutch.
- Alabama was the first state in the US to have recognized Christmas as an official holiday!
- The biggest Christmas gift was the gift of friendship to the US from the people of France!
- Jesus is also called Jesus Christ. The name Jesus in Hebrew is “Yeshua” then later translates into English as Joshua. According to Matthew and Luke Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and also he is a Galilean from Nazareth, a village near Sepphoris.
- His father was Joesph and his mother was Mary. However joseph was the legal father of Jesus, but there is a report says that Mary was a virgin when Jesus was conceived and that she was found with a child in Holy Spirit.
- Joseph who is the father of Jesus was a carpenter, which means he worked with his hands. Jesus also became a carpenter.
- There is no evidence of Jesus’ childhood life. When he was an adult, he went to baptism by the prophet John The Baptist, and shortly he became an itinerant preacher.
THE ASPECTS OF JESUS CHRIST’S TEACHINGS:
- God exists in heaven and only individuals may come after.
- God`s power may omnipresent. Jesus may be seen in the sense of God`s presence as is evident in his own words and deeds.
- The essence of Jesus`s teaching is that the kingdom will come to earth in its full power and glory. Jesus died before heaven came down to earth. He led his followers to expect him to return in the future.
SANTA CLAUS AND CHRISTMAS TREE:
Christmas becomes popular in 1820 through Washington Irving`s book “The Keeping Of Christmas at Bracebridge Hall”.
In the year 1834, Queen Victoria brought her husband Prince Albert into Windsor castle and introduced the tradition of the Christmas tree and Charles which were held in Europe.
In 1860, An illustrator of America Thomas Nast borrowed from the European stories about Saint Nicholas, to create Father Christmas (Santa Claus). Oklahoma became the last US state to declare Christmas a public holiday in 1907. After that year by year, all the countries in the world started to celebrate Christmas as the day of the birth of Jesus.
HISTORY OF CHRISTMAS TREE:
The Christmas tree originated in the Renaissance in early modern Germany.
The Christmas tree was first used by the German Lutherans in the 16th Century.
It was introduced by the German prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg -Gotha who is a consort of the England Queen Victoria by the 19th century.
The Christmas tree was set up in the families as a paradise tree in their homes on December 24th, the religious feast day of Adam and Eve.
CHRISTMAS: HOLIDAYS AND GIFTS:
Christmas holiday in the world is a gazetted holiday. Christians across the country celebrate Christmas full of joy and happiness.
This point out the birth of Jesus Christ. Every year on 25th of December will be a public holiday.
On the day of Christmas, we give gifts to our family, friends, and our loved ones. On Christmas, we gift them and make them happy with chocolates, flowers, cakes, jewelry, personalized gifts, dresses and etc.
The Christmas decoration starts from
- Christmas garland,
- Christmas wreaths,
- Christmas tree with lights in it,
- Christmas wall decors,
- Christmas star at the entrance of the home,
- Christmas bulbs,
- Santa Claus figures,
- Swags and some of the candles.
A Christmas carol is a song or hymn. Sung on Christmas or the holiday of the Christmas season.
This song explains and expresses to us the joy and devotion of the birth of Jesus Christ birth. Christmas carols spread warmth and joy during the coldest month of the year. The most important song of Christmas is that JINGLE BELLS JINGLE BELLS.
The traditional foods of Christmas are Gingerbread, Roast Beef Tenderloin, Sweet potatoes, Baked ham, Stuffing, Turkey and Gravy, pecan pie, Thumbprint Cookies, Cranberry Sauce, Eggnog, Fruitcake, Green Salad, Candy Canes, Charcuterie Board, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Carrots, Chocolate Bark, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Brie Cheese and Sugar Cookies. These are some of the delicious foods will cook on Christmas day.
According to Christians, the gifts given on Christmas are a symbolic tribute to the baby Jesus by the Three Wise Men after his birth during the story of Christmas. The tradition of giving gifts on Christmas also represents their affection towards their family and friends.
On Christmas evening Christians will attend church for a candlelight service or Midnight Mass. Then read the account of Jesus’ birth from the book of Luke. Cook candies for Santa. Pass Christmas cookies and cakes to their neighbors.
HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS:
Jesus was born in March, but his birth is celebrated on 25 December, the time of the solstice. So, people all over the world celebrate Christmas with their family and friends full of fun, happiness, and joy. We wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.