ORIGIN OF THIRUVATHIRAI:
- Thiruvathira is a Hindu festival that is celebrated in the state of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The annual festival of Sri Natarajar temple is celebrated on this date. Thiruvathirai has a connection with Lord Moon.
- It takes place on the full moon night in the Tamil month of Margazhi. On the day of Thiruvathirai, the idols of Natarajar (Lord Shiva) and his consort Shivagami (Parvati) will keep in the temple for a grand procession. It is the most important event which takes place in all Shivan temples.
ARUDRA DARISANAM DATE IN 2023
January 6, In 2023, Arudra Darshanam or Thiruvathirai’s date is January 6. This festival lies in the Tamil month of Margazhi Masam 22nd.
திருவாதிரை நோன்பு (விரதம்) is a Hindu festival, celebrated in the Indian States, especially in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. On this auspicious day people take.
திருவாதிரை விரதம் இருப்பதால் கிடைக்கும் பலன்கள்:
BENEFITS OF OBSERVING THIRUVATHIRA NOMBU:
Thiruvathirai is a day for fasting நோன்பு in Tamil. It is believed that married women observe this Thiruvathira nombu means their husbands get longevity.
WHAT IS THE SPECIALITY OF THIRUVATHIRAI:
- Celebrates the cosmic dance, Birthday, and Ardhanarishvara form of Lord Shiva.
- This function is celebrated in Kerala, Chidambaram, and Tamil Nadu as the birthday of Lord Shiva.
- On this day lord, Shiva initiated the creation of the universe by his thandavan as a cosmic dance.
- This Thiruvathirai natchathiram is very special and it is a favorite for Shivan.
- திருவாதிரை நட்சத்திரமானது, சிவபெருமானுக்கு உகந்த நட்சத்திரமாகப் பார்க்கப்படுகிறது. இந்நட்சத்திரத்தில் பிறந்தவர்கள் புத்திசாலிதனம் மிக்கவர்களாகவும், அதே சமயம், சற்று செலவாளியாகவும் இருப்பார்கள்.
SIGNIFICANCE IN KERALA
- Thiruvathirai is the star of Lord Shiva on the Malayalam calendar. On this day Goddess Parvati finally met Lord Shiva after her long penance and Lord Shiva took her as a saha-dharma-chaarini which literally means equal partner.
- Lord Shiva and Parvati idols are represented in the form of Ardhanarishvara (half male, half female) to the devotees. It is believed that the festival commemorates the death of Kamadeva, who is a god of erotic desire.
- Thiruvathirai is one of the most important festivals in Kerala like Onam and Vishu. This festival is mainly for women, the unmarried women will take part in fasting on that day to get a good husband.
- Married women take fast on the day of Thiruvathirai for the good of their husbands and family. A newly wedded woman`s first Thiruathirai is her poothiruvathira.
SPECIAL FOOD OF KERALA ON THIRUVATHIRAI:
- The fasting women on that day abstain from rice-based foods.
- They should have meals like cooked broken wheat and Thiruvathirai puzukku, a mix of tuber vegetables: Chembu, yam, Chinese potato, sweet potato, long beans, and raw plantain cooked with a thick paste of freshly ground coconut.
- And also they will make a special dessert called koova payasam, a sweet made of arrowroot powder, jaggery, and coconut milk.
DANCE ON THIRUVATHIRA:
- In Kerala, a special dance takes place on thiruvathira and it is known as Thiruvarthira Kali.
- Thiruvathira kali is performed by women on that day with the accompaniment of Thiruvathira pattu telling the love story of Goddess Parvati and her long penance for Lord Shiva`s affection and his might and power.
- This movement is executed by a group of dancers around nilavilakku and it embodies the charm and grace of the feminine.
- The dance follows a circular pattern accompanied by clapping of the hands and singing. Nowadays Thiruvathira kali has become a popular form of dance for all seasons.
- In ancient times, women in Kerala performed this dance during festivals and functions at their homes, giving it the Malayalam name Kaikottikali.
- This dance looks very simple yet has attractive steps. Thiruvathirai kali is celebrated in memory of Lord Shiva taking Parvati as his wife.
- A group of women wears a typical Kerala style dress set mundu and keep jasmine garland in their hair during the thiruvathira kali.
- Kaikottikali tells a message of happiness and illustrates the emotions of married women towards their husbands and also for the unmarried women longing for their future partner.
- Thiruvathira is known as Kerala`s version of Karvachauth.
SIGNIFICANCE IN TAMIL NADU:
- During the time of Thiruvathirai in Tamil Nadu, the married women’s will take fast in the daytime. They will eat food before sunrise.
- After that they will start their fasting and it is called Thiruvempavai Nonbu. They will complete their fast after witnessing the moon.
- Fasting starts before nine days and ends on Thiruvathirai Day, so they will fast for ten days.
THIRUVATHIRAI SPECIAL IN TAMIL NADU:
They will make a special food called Thiruvathirai Kali made of
- moong dhall,
- cardamom and
- ghee with
Thiruvathirai ezhlu curry koottu, which is made of seven vegetables like pumpkin, Ash gourd, plantain, field beans, sweet potato, colocasia, potato and eggplant.
DANCE OF LORD SHIVA:
The night before the full moon Abhishekam is performed to Lord Shiva with the most precious nine gems called Navaratnam in Chidambaram, which includes diamonds, coral, pearls, jade, and emerald In Tamil Nadu the dancing form of Lord Shiva is taken out on procession from all Shiva temple, On the full moon day, the chariot procession also takes place. The important Arudhra Darshan festival will take place at the Chidambaram Shiva temple.
APPAR SONG ABOUT IMPORTANCE OF THIRUVATHIRAI:
“ஊர்திரை வேலை யுலாவும் உயர்மலைக்
கூர்தரு வேல்வல்லார் கோற்றங் கோள் சேரிதனில்
கார்தரு சோலைக் கபாலீச்சரம் அமர்ந்தான்
ஆதிரைநாள் காணாதே போதியார் பூம்பாவாய்”
Appar wrote a poem about the importance of celebrating Thiruvathirai in the name of Thiruvathirai Pathigam.
ARUDRA DARISANAM IN CHIDAMBARAM:
Arudra darisanam is celebrated in a grand manner in five sabhas of Sri Natarajar,
1.Kanakasabha (Gold) at chidambaram
2.Velli Sabhai (Silver) at Madurai
3.Ratnasabha (Ruby) at Tiruvalankadu
4.Tamrasabha (Copper) at Tirunelveli
5.Chitrasabha (Pictures) at Kutralam
- During Thiruvathirai 10 days festival was held at Chidambaram. Maha Abhishekam will be done to Lord Natarajar and Goddess Sivakama Sundari for about 3-4 hours at Raja Sabhai.
- Also then Thiruvabaranam Alankaram, Rahasiya puja will be performed to Sri Natarajar. Pancha Murti Thiruveethi Ula will be held around 12 pm in the afternoon.
- Then after Lord Natarajar and Goddess Sivakami will bless the devotees with Arudra Darisanam and enter kanaka sabhai.
WORLD RECORDS OF THIRUVATHIRAKALI:
- A 16-minute performance was held on May 2017, of Twenty20 kizhakkambalam is the world`s largest record for Thiruvathirai, and has been adjudged the largest Thiruvathirai ever held with a group of women at the age group of 10-75 participating in that.
- In Kerala 2500 women’s and children’s performed in it, also a Russian woman and also more than 4500 women from other 20 states took part in this special event.
- These women were trained by teachers and practitioners. The previous record for the world’s largest Thiruvathira kali belongs to a socio-cultural organization at Dombivil by the Mumbai pooram foundation.
- On December 14th, 2013 over 3000 women participated in the Thiruvathirai kali which was held at kochi and created a new world record.